Good To KnowOpen also Mondays
SpecialisationEgyptian, Etruscan, Greek and Roman artefacts
TipDon’t miss the bronze Chimera of Arezzo from 400 BC, one of the best known examples of Etruscan art
The National Archaeological Museum of Florence (Museo Archeologico Nazionale di Firenze) is one of the oldest museums of its kind in Italy. It holds Etruscan, Greek and Roman collections, and houses the Egyptian Museum, the second largest collection of Egyptian artefacts in Italy, after that in Turin.
The museum was inaugurated in 1870 by King Victor Emmanuel II, soon after which it needed to be relocated due to lack of space to its current location Palazzo della Crocetta, a palace built in 1620 for princess Maria Maddalena de’ Medici, sister of Cosimo II de’ Medici.
Large parts of the Etruscan, Greek and Roman collections were collected the Medici and Lorraine families. Also the Egyptian artefacts are partly from the collection of the Medici, but most of them have been brought to Florence by the 1828-29 Franco-Tuscan Expedition to Egypt, supported by Leopold II, Grand Duke of Tuscany, and Charles X, King of France. The expedition was led by Jean-François Champollion, the decipherer of Egyptian hieroglyphs and a founding figure in the field of Egyptology, and the artefacts brought back were equally divided between the Louvre in Paris and Florence.