Good To KnowOpen also Mondays, Open until Late
SpecialisationMajor international exhibitions
TipCheck out the famous wrought-iron lanterns that decorate the exterior corners
Palazzo Strozzi, located in the heart of Florence, is one of the finest examples of private architecture of the Renaissance. After a long history, it is now a cultural centre hosting major international exhibitions, fashion shows and other cultural events.
The palace is named after the man who ordered the building in 1489, Filippo Strozzi. His family was one of the wealthiest in Florence and the most important rivals of the Medici family. Construction finished in 1538, long after Strozzi had died in 1491.
The Strozzi family had the palace in their possession until 1937, the year in which the insurance company Istituto Nazionale delle Assicurazioni (INA) took over and made the necessary changes to start using it as an office building. In 1999 the INA donated the building to the Italian state, after which is became the home to the Institute of Humanist Studies and to the Fondazione Palazzo Strozzi.
The outside of the building is decorated with wrought-iron torch holders, candelabra, flag holders and rings for horses. They are made by the master blacksmith of 15th century Florence, Niccolò Grosso, nicknamed il Caparra, and are among the best examples of this type of art.