Palatine Gallery (Pitti Palace)
February 24, 2016
June 5, 2016
The Palatine Gallery in Florence has loaned two works by Pontormo to the Städel Museum in Frankfurt, and in return, it receives the altarpiece The Exaltation of the True Cross (1605) by Adam Elsheimer.
The altarpiece is one of Elsheimer’s masterpieces, of whom there are few works due to his premature death at the age of 32. But despite his small legacy, Elsheimer’s influence on the arts was considerable, with artists like Rubens and Rembrandt among his admirers.
The altarpiece was once part of the collection of Cosimo II de’ Medici, Grand Duke of Tuscany. It consists of a central panel showing the Exaltation of the Cross by saints, prophets and angels, and six smaller panels with scenes that tell the story of the cross on which Jesus died.
please see Palatine Gallery (Pitti Palace)
The Medici Chapels (Cappelle Medicee) are two separate chapels in the apse of the Basilica of San Lorenzo in Florence, which was the parish church of the Medici, the influential family that is considered to be the founder of the international banking system and that ... [read more]
The San Marco museum in Florence (Museo di San Marco) houses a major collection of works by Fra Angelico, a Dominican monk and one of the most talented painters of the early Renaissance. San Marco is a religious complex in the centre of Florence, consisting ... [read more]
Orsanmichele is a non-conventional church in the centre of Florence. The building originally served as a grain market and municipal storage facility, which was then consecrated for Christian worship in the 14th century. Chutes for the grain inside the church’s pillars tell the story of ... [read more]